Watermelon Rind Pickles
I've always wanted to try watermelon rind pickles. This past week end was the perfect opportunity to do so. I had just cut up a whole watermelon for my granddaughter's graduation party and I had a little time, so I thought what the heck. I checked out the internet for recipes and I found this recipe.... I had all the ingredients and the necessary equipment to make them so I went for it.
Well, they turned out great! My husband absolutely loves them!
2 pounds watermelon rind
1/4 cup pickling salt
4 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon broken stick cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
5 maraschino cherries, halved, optional
- Trim the dark green and pink parts from watermelon rind. Cut rind in 1-inch cubes and measure 7 cups.
- Soak watermelon rind overnight in a mixture of the pickling salt and water. If it takes more to cover, use the same proportion salt to water.
- Drain and rinse watermelon rind. Cover rind with cold water in a large saucepan; cook just until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a 6 to 8-quart kettle or Dutch oven, combine sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, whole cloves, and 1 cup water.
- Simmer mixture 10 minutes, then strain.
- Add drained watermelon rind, lemon slices, and maraschino cherries, if using. Simmer the mixture until watermelon rind is translucent.
- Fill hot half-pint jars with watermelon rind and syrup mixture, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
Also here is a list of tools that you will need...the list is really pretty short...
- Canner- these can be purchased at any discount store, hardware store or Amazon.com
- Glass Kerr jars can also be purchased at any discount store, hardware store or Amazon.com
- Here are the tools and equipment you will need to start canning...
These products are also available on
Click on images for more information...
For those of you that are just starting your canning experience, here's a video that might help you out.
It's so much fun sharing great recipes and craft ideas in a post. There's something very gratifying to share something that you love to do.
Here are a few Cafe' Hoffy posts that you might also be interested in. The links below will take you to all of Cafe' Hoffy posts. Just click on the category that interests you...
Here's a taste of some of Cafe' Hoffy posts...
Fresh Fruit Salsa, Yum! Pink Lemonade Margarita My Perfect Organized Purse
I, like millions of others, collect "Pins" on Pinterest. I pin recipes and crafts that really interest me. I love pinning so much, that I have over 13,000 pins. You could call me the "Pinning Queen"...LOL! You can visit my "Canning Board" for more great canning recipes.
You can also visit my "Other Boards" by clicking on the Pinterest logo or my picture for thousands of great pins...
Here are a few "Pins" from Pinterest that relate to my post...
Fresh Salsa Pickled Green Beans Christmas Jam
Red Hots Spiced Apples Flavored Applesauce Bloody Mary Pickles
Well, another post ready to go. All updated with lots of good information and a recipe to try!