Two of my favorite cooking blogs are "Jenny Can Cook" and "Natasha's Kitchen". I love that they have videos for many of their recipes, which is very nice for people who are new cooks or aren't sure of instructions to a recipe.
I had never heard of Chicken Gloria and thought I would give it a try. Oh my goodness, what a great week night meal. I finished it off by spooning the Chicken and gravy over mashed potatoes and we had asparagus as a side. It was definitely comfort food. It's definitely an easy meal and takes very little time...well worth trying!
You start by seasoning your chicken with salt and pepper. Then dredge the chicken in flour. The next step is adding about 3 T. of oil to a frying pan and brown your chicken on both sides. The chicken doesn't have to be done, as you will be baking it after it is all put together. After browning remove chicken from frying pan and placing the chicken in a 9X13 cake or casserole dish, wipe down your frying pan making sure you have removed all the little bits left in the frying pan.
Pour the sauce over the chicken, mushrooms, and onions. Cover with foil and bakc
at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
In the meantime either peal your potatoes and cook until soft and then mash. Or, because it's just my husband and myself, I sometimes use those little packets of mashed potatoes in the grocery store. I've tried them all, but I find HyVee's brand is as close as you'll get to real mashed potatoes in taste and texture.
Asparagus our vegetable of choice
I added asparagus for our vegetable. We both love asparagus and here's a quick and easy way of cooking asparagus that turns out perfect every time.
How to break Asparagus by my Grandmother...
My grandmother always told me to break off the ends of the asparagus at it's natural breaking point. You do this by holding the asparagus in both hands and bend until it snaps or breaks. That's the natural breaking point. If you do this, you will never have tough asparagus.
Quick and easy way to cook asparagus...turns out perfect everytime!
Wash the asparagus and place on paper toweling. Pour a little olive oil over the top. I use different types of flavored olive oil to make them really tasty. Salt and paper the asparagus and wrap in the paper toweling. Depending on how many spears you have ( usually I only make half of the asparagus and save the other half for another night. I keep the left over ones in the refrigerator in a glass of water until I'm ready to use them for another meal. Put the bundled asparagus in the microwave for 3 minutes. I usually add another 30 seconds and then let them sit in the microwave until ready to serve.
A Yummy, yummy comfort food dish!
Thanks Natasha's Kitchen for this great recipe. We will definitely serve it again!!!
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge both sides in four. Heat 3 T. oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Once oil is hot, add chicken and saute' until golden brown. Work in batches if needed so you don't crowd your pan. There is no need to cook the chicken through, as it will finish cooking in the oven. Move chicken to a 9X13 baking pan.
- Scrap your pan and wipe with paper toweling. Add 3 T. of oil and saute' mushrooms and onions until tender and lightly browned. Add garlic and saute' for another 1 to 2 minutes. Spread the onions, mushrooms and garlic over the browned chicken in the baking dish.
- Once again, wipe out your large skillet and add the 3 T. of butter. Once melted add the 3 T. of flour and cook until lightly browned. This is the roux for your sauce. You can tell it's just right when you smell the fragrance of pie crust cooking.
- Add 1 1/2 C. of chicken broth and lemon juice and stir until it begins to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste. Once thicker, add 1 C. half and half or 1/2 C. heavy cream and 1/2 C. milk. I added 1/2 C. sour cream also. Stir until smooth. Once again season to taste.
- Pour sauce over chicken and mushrooms and cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Here are a few Cafe' Hoffy posts that you might be interested in. Also, the links below will take you to all of Cafe' Hoffy posts. Just click on the category that you are interested in..."Crafts" or "Recipes"...
"Chicken Boards" on Pinterest for more great recipes...
You can also visit my "Other Boards" by clicking on the Pinterest Logo or my picture for thousands of great recipes and ideas to make and give...
Here are a few pins from Pinterest that I've collected on "My Boards"...they might come in handy for you also...