This year I tried a new recipe. It called for yogurt instead of oil or butter. Because I was making so many loaves, it would have cost a fortune for the yogurt. So, a friend of mine at work gave me a recipe for home-made yogurt. I had tried this recipe before and absolutely loved it. I like plain vanilla yogurt and this recipe makes a lot of yogurt. I'm including this recipe along with the cranberry bread recipe.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Whisk together yogurt, sugar, egg, and orange juice in a large bowl. Sit in the flour mixture and then stir in the orange zest, cranberries, and walnuts.
- Scrape into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F until a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cool 10 minutes, then invert on a wire rack. Flip over and cool. Slice and Serve.
- Boil milk on high (watch it so it doesn't boil over). Take off heat and mix in vanilla and sugar...leave it alone until it's room temperature (90 minutes).
- Whisk 1 cup mix with 3 T. yogurt starter (Yoplait single serve French Vanilla); then mix with remaining boiled milk. Fill four + glass quart sized jars (sterilized) and put on (sterilized) lids. Place into a cooler. Dump 16 cups (1 gallon) warm water into a cooler. Close the lid and walk away for 4-6 hours. Finished product will be thicker after refrigerating.
- Refrigerate for up to 6 weeks.