What a great summer dessert! Fresh peaches, cake and sorbet...mmmm.....
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pints vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe peaches, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 2 pints peach sorbet, slightly softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-by-12-inch cake pan, and line with parchment paper. Butter parchment; set aside. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.
- Put butter and 3/4 cup sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Mix in egg yolks. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Transfer batter to a medium bowl; set aside.
- Put egg whites into the clean bowl of mixer fitted with the whisk attachment;
beat on medium-high speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar,
beating until soft peaks form. Gently fold half of egg-white mixture into batter
rubber spatula. Fold in remaining egg-white mixture. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until light golden and a cake tester inserted into center comes out
clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool a
wire rack15 minutes. Invert onto rack; remove parchment. Let cool completely. Trim cake to 10 by 5 inches. Cake can be refrigerated, wrapped in plastic, up to 1 day.
- Coat a 10-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking cooking spray; line with parchment, allowing a 1-inch overhang on long sides. Coat parchment with cooking spray. Line with plastic wrap, allowing a 3-inch overhang.
- Stir ice cream and peaches in a medium bowl; spread into prepared pan. Freeze
until firm, about 2 hours. Spread 1 pint sorbet over ice cream; freeze until
firm, about 1 hour. Spread with remaining pint sorbet; top with cake. Cover with
plastic overhang. Freeze until firm, at least 2 hours or up to 4 days. To loosen
cake from pan, wrap a damp, hot
towelaround pan. Lift out. Serve immediately.